Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cooking and Costs

I love to bake. I like the feeling of dough between my fingers, the sound of cookies hitting the sheet, the smell of fresh baked treats.
My dad was a baker, and I try to be a baker. The problems though are simple, the cost. Have you tried to go out and buy a good cookie sheet? I did the other day. The cheap one, looked like it might last 2 days at my house, and the ones I wanted were almost the same price as the new cell phone my daughter wanted.
 So how do you buy good quality and still be able to afford to cook. I have learned in recent years, when I stopped working and started cooking, there are a million people out there who don't cook and who regularly clean their houses.
  The WOK on my stove, my second, this one has a flat bottom, is almost identical to my second one, only I only paid $4.99. New in the box, at a garage sale. The set of Cutlery I got from the local thrift store, I paid $19.99. It came with the block, the accesory set, and the ice cream scoop. It is a Cutco. I have a beautiful Tiffanys bowl, for serving $7.99 at a resale shop. They had never heard of Tiffanys selling bowls, but they took in on consignment anyway.
    I have learned, but I have learned there are things you should never scrimp on, and they are the pans I cook in, I have a really nice set, and I cook without water. I know it almost sounds like I am selling them to you, but you can't have my set.
   But at the end of the day, you need a good set, and sometimes you can find one in the paper, at the estate sale, or even at a resale shop.  Here is to good hunting, may all the treasures of cooking rise to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment