I have a recipe for beer cheese soup. It is an easy recipe, but everyone who tries it loves it, with the noticeable exception of my daughter (She says its tooo cheesy).
My neighbor was visiting one day as I was making it and she asked for a taste. I gave her some and now she loves it. If I have a little extra, then I put it in a bowl and take it to her and her husband. She told me they measure it out, and then argue if the other one so much as tastes what is not theirs.
I like my soup, I like to cook, and I believe I can do an ok job of it. But I certainly do not want to be the one who causes my neighbors to argue. So maybe I should make them some when they are arguing and send them a bill for marriage counseling.
My kids have been asking for it, they offered to grate all the cheese in the house. It is funny how easy it is to teach kids to cook, when they want to eat something. They fight over any leftovers. I caught my son writing on my bowl with a permanent marker. When confronted, he said he was making sure no one took any of his soup. He couldn't understand why I thought this was a bad idea.
I live in an area where microbrews are always the rage, I have tried different ales, and what I have found is the dark ales have a yeasty taste when added; IPA's are nice but sometimes to light. A summer or midrange ale is best, or at least I believe this.
I found the basic in a book, and then as I went on I added and subtracted things. This is my recipe and how we make beer cheese soup.
2 Tbsp Margarine
½ cup carrots
½ cup onion
¼ cup green pepper
¼ cup red sweet pepper
¼ cup orange or yellow pepper
½ cup chopped celery
5 Tbsp flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups shredded cheese
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
Fresh ground black pepper
Ground Sea salt
Bottle Tabasco®
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add vegetables and stir them together, then sprinkle the flour over the vegetables until they are coated with the flour. Then slow add the broth stirring regularly to prevent lumps. Cook and stir occasionally over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring continuously while adding cheese until the cheese is melted. Slowly add evaporated milk, until it is blended through. Taste, and add salt and pepper to taste. Add about a half a dozen to a dozen drops of Tabasco depending on taste.
When this is all done, uncap the bottle of beer, add about a quarter of the bottle, and stir.
This is delicious when served with Cheese Rolls. But that is for another recipe day...
Friday, March 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This looks delicious! I will be trying it soon.
ReplyDelete